Monday, March 15, 2010

Elder Paki is transferred

Hey there family and friends.
How ya doing? It was good to hear from you Dad, Mom, Matt, and Travis. Also it was the best thing in the world to get stuff from Mark and Scoty this week. Thanks heaps guys! Mark I'm working on sending you something. Thanks for all the stuff. Scoty thanks for the letter mate. I'm SO EXCITED! Fairdinkum Mate! Buenos Aires! God speed with all your preparation and learning Spanish. I will get a letter off to you ASAP. I also want you and Mark to listen to the tape I am making for the young m)en in the ward.
Dad thanks again for the BYU news. I heard most of it this morning from Elder Wallace. He teaches seminary in the mornings, so we see him over there in the mornings when we are playing basketball at the court out in front of the chapel. The senior missionary rules are a bit looser than ours. So they have internet and TV and get to hear a bit more news from the real world. But he also told me today that BYU got the #7 seed in the NCAA tournament. He was taking a picture of me and Elder Paki at the airport before he left today and he said 1, 2, 3, Smile - BYU got the 7th seed! (He knew that would make me smile!). It is a shame that UNLV gets to play the tournament on their home court every year.
Soooooooo... Speaking of home court. First off: There are 2 Elder Paki's in the Australia Brisbane Mission. My companion (Elder M. Paki from Sydney) and another (Elder C. Paki from Melbourne). Elder Paki got the call from the APs at around 10:00 Friday night saying that he was getting transferred back down to Brisbane and that his plane leaves Monday morning. Then they told us that we need to pick up the new missionary at the greyhound station in town. His bus arrived at midnight Saturday night (Sunday morning). We asked the APs who we should be looking for and they said "Elder Paki". We said "no, who are we picking up" and they said "Elder Paki". "no for real". Elder C. Paki.
Saturday night I picked up my new companion Elder Paki from Melbourne Australia. This morning at 11:50 My companion Elder Paki left on a plane back down to Brisbane. So I have a new companion. Same name. Get it? Good. I laughed on the ground for about 10 minutes after I heard the news. I'm like - so how are we going to explain this to people?
They have been out the same amount of time (about 8 months) and they were even companions in the New Zealand MTC. So they already knew each other. They have the same name but that is about the only thing they have in common. They aren't related. The new one, Elder Paki 2,or Elder Paki the younger, as he has begun being called, has a bit more New Zea-lander blood in him and has more of the Kiwi accent. He is much different than Elder Paki (The Elder). But we will get along just fine. It is still all settling in. I was with Elder Paki for 3 transfers, four and half months- the longest I've ever been with any companion - and it was to the point where it was kind of like Me and Matt (finishing each others sentences, inside jokes galore, know what each other is thinking). So I really enjoyed my time with him it was good. He was sad to leave Rocky and said that he didn't want to go back down to the big city and all the missionary's. But he will be fine. He bore a great testimony in sacrament meeting yesterday (the branch president invited him to come up).
Everyone at church thought we were playing around with them. They couldn't believe that I brought 2 Elder Pakis' with me to church. They thought he was just borrowing his badge or something. HAHA.
So I survived another transfer and I am still up here in Rockhampton with Elder Paki. Haha. I will probably just be up here for 6 more weeks.
I wish I could have heard Chris Miller's talk. He has a strong spirit and it sounds like he is showing it more often now. I wish I could see him as a missionary. Tell him he needs to send me some pictures of himself in the MTC in his missionary clothes and all. Tell Chris I say God Bless. I'm positive that the Lord will make him a powerful tool in his hands. Good on ya Chris!

How was the new summit ward munch and mingle? Are the 2 wards blending well or are they sticking to themselves a bit. Its good to hear you will have a normal 3 block schedule this next week, consistency is important.
Dad, as it warms up into the 60s there, it has been cooling down to the high 60s here (quite chilly). I looked at the temperature yesterday morning (because I was cold) and I noticed that it is the first time since I've been in Rocky that I've seen the temperature go below 70 degrees. I had to go find a blanket!
It is good to hear the gathering at the Millers for Christian's birthday went well and that more family gatherings are coming up soon. I sure miss those gatherings and all the cute nieces and nephews. But I have adopted a few nieces and nephews up here in our branch. There are some cute kids up here and they know my name and get excited when they see me. They remind me of my own cute nieces and nephews back home.
It is too bad to hear America is going down the tube. We should just all move to Brisbane Australia! It is tight as bet over here! I even saw a Chevy Silverado this morning! (I've seen maybe 3 since I've been over here.)
Mum, thanks for the inspiring conference quotes! I love general conference! We listen to it in the car and in the flat! Elder Eyring is a favorite. Remember when he came and visited us in Bloomfield Hills stake center?
Mum, like you I had a visit to physical therapy this week. He said a lot (most of it I didn't understand) but he said that my back is healing well naturally since the pain has subsided considerably. He gave me some advice and did teach me some exercises to strengthen the muscles. They put heat on it, he popped a few things in my back, and we even had a lovely discussion about a few things. He told me his opinions on chiropractors, I talked about being a missionary, a few of our beliefs, we talked about both of our families and things. He had 7 daughters between the ages of 7 weeks and 17. I told him I come from a family of 7 kids and he thought that was cool. So contrary to your preconceived - irrational notions Matt, Physical therapists (at least in Australia) are pretty alright. So my back is fine Mum. The pain is barely there anymore, it is healing nicely, I am back to playing basketball, and no, it had nothing to do with my belts. I hurt it playing basketball. I bought a cheap belt at Target in the meantime, but thank you for the belts in the mail!
My belts broke because I've been using them every day for a year, and because all my muscle turned to fat because I didn't work out for a month while my back was hurting. So this transfer I am on the rebound and determined to get my 6 pack abs back!
That is sweet that our ward building was dedicated by Le Grand Richards! I didn't know that! Dad when did you get released as ward sports guy? Is there Church ball this year?
Chantale, thank you heaps for forwarding Travi's emails! I love reading about how ridiculously huge the work is over there! Tell him I am aiming to have 44 investigators at church now! He has always been a good example to us Prina boys. Good on Him!
Matt I love to hear of all the cool ideas and fun that you have there. Slip and slides, forts, side walk chalking and soap boxing. You inspire me. How are things going with Elder Unga? You should try being more humble... Like me. HAHAHAHAHAHA Just kidding, Sorry I still haven't got around to sending you the tape, pictures and other stuff. I'll work on that. Its been a crazy week.
Matt you said that you are a bit like me in that you don't have any baptismal dates... But we have 5 the Polizzi family are getting Baptized on April 24th by there father Mario! They are the best family and are even inviting there friends to come to church! They gave me and Elder Paki a framed picture of there family as a gift.

Oh - I gotta go. Thanks for everything guys -I love you all. I know definitely that this Church is true and my testimony continues to grow heaps. I'll get you some pictures next week.
Heaps of love,
Elder Prina
Ya ya ya Ofa atu... and stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment