Aloha everyone,
We have been having a blast here in Pearl City. Elder Naulu and I had a "Windows to Heaven Day" last Friday where we walked and knocked doors all day long to help find new investigators. Elder Naulu is my only companion on my mission that I've been able to convince to do that (mainly because he's just crazy enough). We did it everyday for three months in Boston so it was kind of a cake walk for me. It turned out being quite an adventure. Some guy told me he was gonna call the cops on me (YES! first time on my mission! I was actually pretty excited about that, but they never showed up. I got bit on my wrist by this big wolf looking dog. His teeth went all the way around my wrist and then let go, by some miracle his teeth didn't even break the flesh. We knocked all day and didn't see much success. On the way back to the pad, we had already stopped knocking, walking through an area that was highly populated with old people. I saw a house that was clearly inhabited by a young family. I asked Elder Naulu if we should knock here and he agreed. We did and a young mom answered with three kids close behind her. While talking to her we learned that she grew up with some members of the church in a neighboring ward and sometimes attend church and activities with her friends. She told us the name of the friend and told us we could come back. We later talked to some of the ward members that are her age and they knew the friend so we are going to try to contact the friend. The only problem is the friend lives in Florida now so she probably can't come to the lesson with us. We have an appointment to go back today at 4:00.
We also had a 3 on 3 basketball tournament last Saturday morning which has been in the works for about a month now. We planned to hold the tournament at an outdoor court at the elementary school nearest to where we live. The morning of the tournament I woke up about 5:00 and it was raining hard. I knelled down and prayed for about an hour that the rain could stop by the time the tournament started at 8:00. We went to the park and waited but the rain never stopped. People started showing up and we didn't know quite what we were going to do. To my surprise almost 30 people showed up, the majority of which were nonmembers. We then decided to go to the only dry place we could think of, the cultural hall. By the time the tournament was underway we had over 40 participants including parents of the nonmember kids who came to film their games. We had about 14 teams of 3 and Elder Naulu and I won. One of our Investigators, a good sized Philippino named Phillip, played on our team. We won the grand prize! A 40$ basket ball that E. Naulu had bought for the winner, A trophy that one of the non member parents went out and bought along with some blue first place ribbons. Our bishop provided a lunch and everything went way better than I ever could of expected. It turned out better than it would've went at the park because everything was closer together and more organized, plus, now all those non members know where the chapel is and that we have a gym and have activities all the time. The parents mentioned to me that they liked to keep their kids active to keep them out of trouble during the summer. We will run the tournament again on the 24th of July. Sometimes God answers our prayers differently than we think he will, but he always answers, and his answer is always better than ours.
We got a new Mission President last Friday, President Dalton from California, I haven't been able to meet him yet but he will have a district meeting with us on Friday and interview us. That is cool that you and I got new mission Presidents at the same time Rob. It will be difficult parting with President Peterson. All the missionaries loved him, he was like my dad on the mission. But I am excited to work with this new President and get a clean slate.
I wanted to thank the Stobbes for the letters and all of Scoty's mtc letters, that brought back alot of memories. I liked Scots story of building the cultural hall, Old sis hernandez used to get up every fast sunday with her old lady church hat on and go off about how her husband was the builder and the whole ward helped build the chapel and "all this used to be cow pastures and the cows used to come up durring sacrament meeting and watch and moo and moo". I think hernandez or rodruguez was her name but it was an old hawaiian lady from kauai'i. Thank you also scoty for the letter, I will look for that sister brown girl.
Last Tues. we had an island wide mission confrence to say aloha oe to president Peterson. It was a really good confrence and we all got to hug him and take pictures with him afterwords. When we got home we did our studies because we didn't have time to do them in the morning. Some how we missed a call on our cell phone as we were studying. I checked the messages and it was a guy we never met before who just moved into our area telling us he wanted to get baptized! "Thats never happened before!"
He gets baptized on the 10th I'll tell you more next week, I've run out of time.
Elder M Prina
Goodbye Trondheim
13 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment